By the time Kelley was 15 years old she was well on the road to being financially independent. The rule in the Long household was that if you wanted a car, you had to buy it yourself and pay for the insurance. Through baby-sitting and her first "real" job at a fast food restaurant, she scrimped and saved bills in a glass Christmas tree jar. On her sixteenth birthday she proudly purchased a beat-up Ford Tempo (affectionately named ‘Shirley Tempo’). This experience laid the foundation for her ability to understand the basics of money.
Kelley's first savings account
Formerly the head of her own practice, KCL Financial Coaching, Kelley's career experience built on this foundation and she is now a nationally sought-after personal finance expert who is recognized for her gift of breaking complicated financial concepts down into simple terms. She delights in helping Americans take small but effective steps toward gaining control of their money and their lives - this is her life's calling.
Her credentials include:
- Resident Financial Planner for Financial Finesse
- Certified Public Accountant - Licensed in Illinois and Ohio
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Personal Financial Specialist - a designation only available to licensed CPAs who specialize in personal finance
- National Spokesperson for the Financial Literacy Commission of the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) and FeedthePig
- Financial Expert Contributor to Career Girl Network, an online career resource for working women
- Women's Executive Committee member and media ambassador for the Illinois CPA Society
- Former Trust Officer and Certified Trust and Financial Advisor - assisted high net worth clients with estate planning at Fifth Third and PNC Bank
- Magna cum laude graduate of the Lee Honors College at Western Michigan University, where she attended on a full academic scholarship
Kelley has appeared on NBC National, Fox Business and WGN Morning News and is a regular guest on Chicago's WBBM noon radio business hour. She is frequently quoted in the press, including articles in the Wall Street Journal, Real Simple magazine, CNNMoney, Time.com, and the Associated Press. She is a regular guest blogger for personal finance sites and also speaks
regularly on topics relating
to women and personal finance.
Born and raised in Traverse City, Michigan, Kelley resides in Chicago where she is President of the Professional Women's Club of Chicago and a BodyPump™ instructor at the Chicago Athletic Clubs. An avid reader, she usually has at least two books going. She also loves being outdoors doing anything active and is working toward her goal of visiting all 50 states. 35 and counting!